工作地點：Nairobi 截止日期：09 April , 2019
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
The intern will work under the direct supervision of the Urban Planning and Innovation team from the CPEDU and the Urban Planning and Design Lab, and assist in development of innovation projects linked to urban planning and design. The focus areas of the internship are:
- GIS, spatial analysis, drone, satellite, remote sensing technologies
- Online platforms and dashboards for urban data visualization and decision-making
- Urban data analysis, database and visualization (sensor data, census data, survey data and AI)
- Challenge-driven innovation (data, urban planning, local energy districts)
- Smart city strategies and plans
The UN-Habitat Urban Planning and Innovation internship is for 6 months.
The Internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual's background; the intern's assigned office as well as the internship period.
Under the direct supervision of the Urban Planning and Innovation team from the CPEDU the intern will:
- Assist in the definition and implementation of the UPDB and CPEDU activities and outputs, such as urban planning methodology review, development of projects and tools, documentation and evaluation of practice, and organization of expert meetings, preparation of field missions and scoping missions.
- Support the designated programme (City Planning, Extension and Design Unit, Urban Planning and Design Lab) in the development of concrete urban planning and innovation projects, smart city plans, workshops, training, Charrettes and different tools to promote urban planning and design.
- Assist in the development of UN-Habitat/UPDB urban planning and innovation documents, guidelines, information materials, presentations through identification and review of relevant publications and documents, drafting and commenting on documents, and assisting in producing information materials.
-Support with technical skills the development of innovative planning tools and processes linked to frontier technologies.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
a. Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher).
b. Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent).
c. Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
Be computer literate in standard software applications.
Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter.
Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Preferred Areas of Studies:
Urban Planning or Geography with specific focus on GIS and remote sensing technologies, or alternatively advance degree in computer science, smart cities, digital media, communication or innovation (Master candidate preferable).
Knowledge in programming, artificial intelligence, platform development, databases and data visualization will be considered an asset.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN Language is desirable.
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.
Your application for this internship must include:
1. A Completed application (Personal History Profile) and Cover Note, through the UN careers Portal. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
- Title of the degree you are currently pursuing
- Graduation Date
- IT skills and programmes you are proficient in
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship
Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme, ensure to include all past work experience (if any).
2. Proof of enrollment from current University (if not graduated).
3. A copy of degree certificate (if you have already graduated).
Due to a high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.